November 2016 Comments

ANON Nov 30th, 2016 @ 12:21 PM

1/2...Abuse ‘a shadow that took innocence’…

The mother of a child who was raped by her uncle over a seven-year period has described how the abuse has caused a crack in her family “that no time will ever heal”.

In a victim impact statement read in the Central Criminal Court, she said she would never get over the fact her brother repeatedly raped her daughter from when she was aged seven to 14.

“To my brother,” the woman’s statement read, “my world shattered the day I learned the secret my baby girl had been carrying for so many years. I couldn’t believe my brother could hurt his own sister’s daughter, his niece...

“I had stranger danger talks with my daughter. I never thought that I would have to warn her about someone I thought I could trust.”

The 25-year-old man from the Midlands pleaded guilty to three counts of sexual assault and seven counts of raping his niece between January 2007 and August 2014.

The court heard the girl looked up to her uncle and the pair grew up together like “brother and sister”.

A local detective told Fiona McGowan BL, prosecuting, that the abuse began with sexual misconduct in the form of kissing and inappropriate touching when the girl was seven years old and her uncle was 15.

It progressed to rape and anal rape, with incidents taking place in a relative’s house, in a treehouse in their grandparents’ garden, and in the girl’s house when her uncle was babysitting her.

At one point, the abuse stopped for a couple of years when the man had a girlfriend, but it resumed when that relationship ended.


ANON Nov 30th, 2016 @ 12:19 PM

2/2...The abuse ended in August 2014 when the girl disclosed what had been happening to her. When questioned by gardaí, her uncle made full and immediate admissions, the detective said.

In her victim impact statement the victim, now 17, said: “I grew up with a shadow behind me. It’s a shadow that grew bigger and bigger as I grew older. I had to carry it with me. The shadow took away my innocence and it took away my confidence in myself.”

She said her rapist was like a brother to her.

“I trusted him. I thought he was so cool,” she said.

The girl said she felt guilty at the effect the abuse had had on her extended family.

“We were a really close family and now we are broken.”

She said her relationship with her grandmother has particularly suffered. The court heard the man’s parents support their son.

The man told gardaí he always felt “terrible” after each incident of abuse, the court heard.

Ms McGowan said: “He said he always felt awful for days afterwards and contemplated suicide over this.”

Mary Rose Gearty SC, defending, told the court the man had received extensive therapy and counselling since the abuse came to light.

“He knows he is going to jail,” Ms Gearty said. “His motivation has been to make sure this doesn’t happen again, for his own sake and for the sake of his extended family.”

She noted the man was a child when he began the abuse. She said he was extremely remorseful. He has no previous convictions.

Judge Patrick McCarthy adjourned for sentencing on December 16. Ms Gearty said her client wished to be taken into custody immediately to start whatever sentence was handed down.

His victim and her mother cried and embraced as he was taken into custody, as did the victim’s grandparents.

ANON Nov 30th, 2016 @ 12:16 PM

1/2...Drug use and sex at care home for children…

Tusla says it will address deficits in a residential children’s care home in which absences from care were rampant and inspectors voiced concerns over inappropriate sexual behaviour, phone access, and alcohol and drug use.

The inspection of the Ferryhouse children’s residential centre in Clonmel, Co Tipperary, uncovered serious concerns over how staff at the facility were addressing challenging behaviour among the children staying there; and found a significant risk had been identified under four headings, including ‘care of young people’.

The inspection report, published by the Health Information and Quality Authority (Hiqa), looked at the centre, which provided residential care for up to 15 boys aged 12 to 16 and which, at the time of the unannounced inspections in August and September, had nine young people staying there.

It is understood Minister for Children Katherine Zappone wrote to Tusla chief executive Fred McBride last week in relation to the centre, expressing concern at ineffective risk management systems and seeking information from Tusla about its long-term plans for the facility.

Inspectors found that “a number of children were engaged in a wide range of high-risk behaviours”, with 409 significant adverse events recorded over the previous year, including sexualised behaviour, missing from care, at risk behaviours, physical restraint, and alcohol and substance misuse.

ANON Nov 30th, 2016 @ 12:14 PM

2/2...While there had been 10 incidents of children being absent from the centre in a 12-month period up to a previous inspection in July 2015, the rate had spiralled, with 277 incidents of children being absent from the centre in the 12 months prior to this inspection.

According to the report: “There was an increase in highly inappropriate sexualised behaviours, alcohol and drug use, criminal activities, and incidents of violence. Some children were exposed to behaviours and situations that were higher risk than the situations they were removed from. One child was remanded to a children’s detention centre as a result of behaviours engaged in while at the centre.”

Children were not kept safe from the risk of significant harm and “records showed that staff did not intervene during some of these very serious incidents and observed from a distance while children engaged in at-risk behaviour”.

Staff were unable to remove phones from children and effectively supervise their use, meaning children could access unsuitable internet content. A total of 34 child protection referrals were made to social work departments and a review of files of two children in the centre found a number of concerns that had not been reported to the respective social work department.

Often when children absconded, they frequently went to a nearby river bank, sometimes under the influence of alcohol, with parents telling inspectors that they were very worried for their child’s safety during these incidents.

Jim Gibson, chief operations officer in Tusla, acknowledged the shortcomings at the centre and said: “In conjunction with Hiqa, we have created and begun to implement an action plan to address the deficits identified.”

This includes the instigation of monitoring visits and no further admissions to the service until Tusla and Hiqa are satisfied that care measures have reached the required standard.

ANON Nov 30th, 2016 @ 11:27 AM

Man settles De La Salle Rubane House sex abuse claim case for £22,000…

A man allegedly subjected to sexual abuse at a Co Down children's home more than 50 years ago is to receive £22,500 to settle his legal action.

The 66-year-old claims he suffered a serious psychiatric injury due to his treatment as a boy staying at Rubane House in Kircubbin.

He sued the De La Salle religious order who ran the home, seeking damages for a "serious and persistent" alleged campaign.

It was confirmed at the High Court in Belfast on Tuesday that his lawsuit has seen resolved.

Solicitor Claire McKeegan of KRW Law, representing the plaintiff, announced a settlement for the sum of £22,500.

The man, who cannot be identified, is also to receive his legal costs.

No admission of liability was made by the defendants.

Rubane House was among the homes examined by the Historical Institutional Abuse (HIA) Inquiry set up to investigate decades of child abuse in residential institutions in Northern Ireland.

It was estimated that 200 of Rubane's 1,050 former residents have made allegations of serious sexual or physical abuse.

One of those was the plaintiff, who stayed there during the 1960s.

His lawsuit featured claims that he was subjected to physical, emotional and sexual abuse from the age of 11.

Two of the De La Salle brothers associated with the home at that time were named in the legal papers as the alleged perpetrators.

But following announced settlement his case will not proceed to trial.
29 November 2016

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:20 PM

Sexually abused children wait 18 months for therapy…

Children who have been sexually abused are being forced to wait up to 18 months for therapy because of a shortage of funding.

Cari (Children At Risk in Ireland) has demanded the Government step in with one-off funding of €200,000 to clear a crippling backlog.

Cari also said it had seen a growth in the number of children aged 12 and under who have been referred to it because of sexualised behaviour, but where there is no evidence of abuse pointing to the possible influence of pornography and inappropriate content online.

Cari will launch its annual report today, highlighting lengthening waiting times for therapy because of a backlog caused by a funding shortfall and warning that unless it is tackled, it may have to close off its services to vulnerable children until it can reduce the number of young people on its waiting list.

The organisation’s chief executive, Mary Flaherty, said there are currently 92 children on its waiting list for therapy, a similar number to a year ago and at a time when Cari has capacity to deal with 50 children a year.

Cari has centres in Dublin and Limerick and offers services to young people aged between five and 17, although it did see a three-year-old last year who is no longer on its list.

“About a quarter of all referrals are under-12s who have sexualised behaviour,” she said. “The trouble with that group is they should not be waiting at all.”

Ms Flaherty said ideally children should not wait longer than six months between assessment and receiving therapy, yet Cari’s waiting times had extended from eight or nine months to as long as 18 months.

“If Tusla does not provide additional funding for 2017, Cari may have to think of the unthinkable and consider closing the waiting list until waiting times are reduced to a clinically approved level,” she said.

It managed an 18% increase in appointments in 2015 and said the numbers waiting for therapy had also increased a trend that has continued into 2016.

The annual report will also highlight the work of Cari’s child accompaniment support service and shows “excessive” and “unnecessary” court delays for children in criminal trials who are victims.

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:16 PM

1/2...Jail for stepfather who assaulted girl over 3 years…

A man who put a dog lead around his step daughter’s neck while sexually assaulting her as a child has been jailed for two and half years.

George Crombie, aged 47, also had a knife stuck in the waistband of his pyjama bottoms during a separate assault.

He told his stepdaughter there would be “murder in this flat” if she told her mother about the abuse, which took place over a three-year period when she was aged between 10 and 13.

Last week, Laura Johnston, now in her 20s, read her victim impact statement to the court, in which she condemned Crombie for “betraying her trust and love in him”.

“How could I ever get over what my stepfather, who I loved and trusted, did to me as a 10-year-old girl?” said Ms Johnston.

The court heard she wished to waive her right to anonymity.
Crombie, with an address in Bloomfield Ave, South Circular Rd, Dublin 8, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to eight counts of sexually assaulting Ms Johnston in their Ringsend home between February 2004 and December 2006.

Yesterday, Judge Melanie Greally said it was clear Crombie was satisfying a particular sexual fetish during the assaults and referred to the use of the dog lead as “extremely frightening” and “degrading”.

She said Ms Johnston had regarded Crombie as her natural father and that as such the “breach of trust was monumental” before she described the abuse as both “unrelenting” and “predictable” occurring every Thursday and Saturday.

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:14 PM

2/2...Judge Greally said that, having heard the impact statement, it was clear Ms Johnston would continue to struggle with the “premature loss of innocence” and “blight on her childhood that can never be removed”.

She acknowledged that Crombie had made admissions and spared his victim a trial before she imposed concurrent sentences totalling two and half years.

Garda Sandra Fitzgerald agreed with Dean Kelly, prosecuting at last week’s hearing, that Crombie had been with Ms Johnston’s mother since she was a small child and Ms Johnston had younger half-siblings.

The court heard Ms Johnston thought Crombie was her real father until she was 10, when her mother told her he was in fact her stepfather. When told the news, Ms Johnston showed her support for Crombie by ripping up the birth cert that said he was not her real father.

“She indicated she saw [Crombie] as her real father and she had no difficulty with the news she had received,” Mr Kelly said.

However, shortly after finding out Crombie was not her father, he started acting differently towards her, the court heard.

“He started questioning her about her friends and boys,” Mr Kelly said.

Crombie then started going into her bedroom when her mother and siblings were asleep and touching Ms Johnston while she was lying in bed, the court heard. The abuse happened every Thursday and Saturday night, when Crombie had been out drinking.

He entered her bedroom and touched her stomach, legs and bottom while she lay in bed. She believed he had a fetish for stomachs and bottoms, Mr Kelly said

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:12 PM

1/2...Victim begs for rape crisis funding…

As a nine-year-old child, Anne Kelly would lie in bed at night terrified that a baby was about to burst through her belly button.

Her mother had told her this was how babies were born.

Anne had become convinced that she was pregnant and, as this was 1970s Ireland, this meant she “was most certainly, going to hell”. She was terrified.

She couldn’t talk to her parents about her fears, though, as the man who lived down the road from her had warned her that if she disclosed anything to them, they would dispatch her to a children’s home.

For two years, she and her little friend had been sexually abused by pirate radio kingpin, Eamon Cooke. He would “give a certain nod” and they felt no choice but to follow him over to his house and do as he requested.

Cooke, who was later sentenced to jail for 10 years for the abuse of Anne and three others, has been linked to the unexplained disappearance of Phillip Cairns in 1996.

Gardaí attended the hospice where he died this year imploring him to tell them where the nine year-old’s body is.

The DJ said he didn’t know what they were talking about.
By the time Anne was nine, Cooke was taking her “naked into the bed” and attempting to penetrate her.

Cooke’s abuse turned Anne, who grew up in Inchicore in Dublin, into a “withdrawn, angry and sulky” young girl who was “frightened of my position in the family” as she was terrified of being kicked out. For years, she would seek comfort in alcohol.

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:09 PM

2/2...Her lifeline has been the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre. It was her father who rang them seeking help for his daughter when she eventually rang him at work, aged 18, to tell him what she had endured.

On RTÉ Radio yesterday, Anne made an impassioned plea to the Government “to restore rape crisis centre funding” which was cut sharply during the economic downturn.

Cooke had started off a nice man, letting Anne and her friends play in his garage and giving them sweets and money when she was aged 7.

“But the nice man withdrew and the threats began.”

The first time he attempted to touch her inappropriately was when she watching a home video that he had made of her and three of her friends dancing the Can-Can,

“I was very confused as nobody had ever touched me that way,” she said. “You know as a child that it’s not right at a deep level.”

When he approached her, Anne would flinch.

“I would hold my breath when he was near me, especially when he was naked” as he stank. “He was physically unbelievably dirty”.

At 18, she reported him to the Gardaí and urged others to make a complaint but “they were too afraid”.

He confronted her in a shop where she was working after she made the Garda complaint. He demanded 20 Rothmans. She refused to serve him and picked up a knife.

He came back twice more to intimidate her including one time with a little girl, aged about 7.

The little girl was in tears in the car before she came into the shop asked for 20 Rothmans. Horrified, she obliged.

“That crucified me for 20 years, I wanted to grab the child,” she said.

ANON Nov 29th, 2016 @ 12:06 PM

Ex police officer evades jail despite receiving conviction for his sex crimes…

An 82-year-old former police officer has avoided jail again despite being convicted of his 17th sex crime.

John Stanfield had a two year jail sentence suspended for three years when he appeared in the dock of Downpatrick Crown Court last Thursday.

The pensioner admitted three counts of committing an act outraging public decency; five of breaching a Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO); four of engaging in sexual activity in front of a child aged under 13.

The convictions relate to incidents earlier this year when Stanfield fondled himself in various supermarkets near his home on the Rosetta Road in south Belfast. The incidents were caught on CCTV. After being arrested he claimed to have been scratching his psoriasis.

Despite being convicted of 17 sex crimes since 2010 Stanfield has only ever served four weeks in prison.

That was last month when he was remanded in custody ahead of being given a suspended sentence and freed on Thursday.

Stanfield is now back living in the Rosetta area, much to the fury of neighbours who had hoped to see the back of him.

Locals had previously been in touch with DUP peer Lord Morrow who asked the Department of Justice to carry out a serious case review because of the paedophile’s constant re-offending. But the politician was told that this was not possible because Stanfield’s latest crimes were non-contact.

Our sister paper the Sunday Life has also learned that despite being on the sex offender’s register and subject to a SOPO the pervert was allowed to go on a recent cruise. He is also a familiar sight in cafes around the Ormeau Road.

A source said: “It seems Stanfield cannot control himself and given his past record it will only be a matter of time before he is in trouble again.”

Stanfield also has convictions for fondling himself in front of children on beaches. He was nicknamed ‘Dirty John’ by teenagers in Rosetta after buying Viagra-type sex pills from young dealers.

ANON Nov 28th, 2016 @ 08:24 PM

Adopted people and natural mothers have given a mixed reaction to new legislation granting them basic information and tracing rights.

Under the Adoption Bill, adopted people will, for the first time, have a statutory entitlement to their birth certificate.

A new adoption contact register will be placed on a statutory basis and operated by Tusla, the Child and Family Agency and adopted people and birth parents will be asked to register.

However, parents can avoid registration or declare a “no contact” preference.

In these cases, adoptees will be asked to give an “undertaking” agreeing not to contact or attempt to contact his/her birth parent or not to ask anyone else to make or attempt to make contact on his/her behalf.

This has been done in an attempt balance between the birth parents’ right to privacy and the identity rights of adopted people.

In previous versions of the legislation, this undertaking was referred to as a “statutory declaration”. However, breaching a statutory declaration is a criminal offence.

No mention is made in the current Bill as to the penalties faced for those who breach the undertaking.

Co-founder of the Adoption Rights Alliance Susan Lohan said the group “cautiously” welcomed the legislation but also had concerns.

“We are very concerned that the bill, at this stage, envisages that there may be certain circumstances where the release of such information could possibly “endanger the life of a person”.

We are also appalled that some adopted people may be forced to sign “undertakings” that they will not contact their natural parents or other relatives and this appears to us to be a rebranding of the much derided “statutory declaration”, she said.

Paul Redmond of Paul Redmond of the Coalition of Mother and Baby Homes described the bill as “overwhelmingly positive”.

“Illegally and informally adopted people will finally have rights in Ireland after decades of being treated as third class citizens.

However, the six-month lead in means hundreds of adoptees and natural mothers will be reunited with headstones and it needs to be scrapped immediately.

The Constitutional and Supreme Court limitations on the Bill have minimal practical implications in the real world with no penalties for survivors,” he said.

ANON Nov 25th, 2016 @ 11:48 AM

1/2...Met Police failings put children at risk of sex abuse, report finds...

In one case, a teenage girl told the force she was sexually assaulted but had to wait 17 days before she was assigned an officer.

Metropolitan Police is putting children at risk because of "serious errors" in its response to child sex abuse, inspectors have found.

HM Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) found that 75% of the 374 cases it reviewed were handled "inadequately" or "required improvement".

It said the Met's handling of child abuse and sex exploitation cases were inconsistent and lacked leadership.

The report comes two weeks after an independent review found Scotland Yard made "numerous errors" in the investigation into high-profile paedophiles.

HM Inspector of Constabulary Matt Parr said: "We found serious errors of judgement, inconsistency, unacceptable delays and a lack of leadership which meant that children are not being protected properly."

The Met did not have a dedicated chief officer responsible for child protection, HMIC found.

In one case, a 14-year-old girl told the force she had been given alcohol and cigarettes before being sexually assaulted by a 30-year-old man she met online.

ANON Nov 25th, 2016 @ 11:45 AM

2/2...An officer was not assigned to the investigation until 17 days later, during which time the man continued to message the teenager. HMIC said this put her at risk, while the Met rated its handling as "good".

The report found there was a backlog of visits to registered sex offenders and that the Met's IT systems for storing information on those at risk of abuse was "fragmentary".

HMIC said the force was the first it had inspected which did not have a dedicated chief officer responsible for child protection.

Mr Parr added: "This absence of oversight of this crucial area is unacceptable and exacerbates the inconsistency we found in dealing with child protection.

"Far too many of the cases we looked at fell well short of expected standards and meant that victims weren't protected, evidence was lost and offenders continued to pose a risk to children."

HM Chief Inspector of Constabulary, Sir Thomas Winsor, said the report brought to light "inexcusably poor practice".

The Met said it aims to provide the best possible protection to children but was "sorry that this has not always been the case, especially to the children involved in the examples highlighted in this report".

It added that since the inspection it has revisited all the cases examined and "identified no further harm to children".

HMIC has made a series of recommendations, including London-wide oversight of child protection.


ANON Nov 25th, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

Eyemouth sex offender Robert Edwards left in charge of baby…

A sex offender banned from having any contact with children was left alone in charge of a one-year-old baby, a court has heard.

Robert Edwards, 62, of Eyemouth, admitted breaching the terms of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

He had only been released from prison a few days earlier when he was left in charge of the child in Jedburgh on Wednesday.

He was jailed for 200 days at Selkirk Sheriff Court.

The court heard how he had been invited to stay at the home of a friend in Jedburgh shortly after his release from prison.

Procurator fiscal Graham Fraser said his friend and another woman, who had the child with her, had then decided to go to Hawick leaving Edwards with the infant.

He added that it appeared the baby's mother had been unaware that Edwards was a sex offender.

Mr Fraser described the offence as a "spectacular" breach of the order and said it was concerning as Edwards had a previous conviction for assaulting a child of a similar age.

Social workers were tipped off that he was alone in the house with the child and the police were called.

Defence lawyer Fiona Hamilton said the child was meant to be watched by a neighbour who was unable to do so.

She said Edwards thought the two women were only going to a nearby shop for 20 minutes and was unaware they had gone to Hawick.

Ms Hamilton said he had tried to comply with the order and there was no planning involved in being in contact with the child.

She added: "He did not want to say no."

Sheriff Peter Paterson jailed him for 80 days and added another 120 days for an unexpired part of his previous prison sentence after being released early.

Earlier this year Edwards was jailed for 12 months after a jury at Selkirk Sheriff Court convicted him of speaking to two children aged five and two at a bus stop.

Then, on a bus journey between Berwick and Eyemouth, he also offered them money and sweets which breached the terms of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

ANON Nov 25th, 2016 @ 11:39 AM

Birmingham children's services: 'Serious failings' remain…

Birmingham City Council is still failing to do enough to protect vulnerable children but there are signs of improvement, a report says.

Its children's services are still inadequate, an Ofsted inspection report concluded, and inspectors said too many children had been identified "as being at risk of immediate harm".

Inspectors identified "serious and widespread failings" in some services.
The council said it was still part-way through a three-year improvement plan.

The city's children's services has held an inadequate rating since 2008.

Criticisms include "inconsistent" work to tackle sexual exploitation of children, with inspectors concluding "much (of the work) is poor".

Services for children missing from home or care were also described as poor, while disabled children in need of help were having to wait too long for support.

Referrals for domestic abuse were found to be "high" at more than 3,000 per month.

'Not enough'...

Inspectors said improvement was also needed to support and plan the care of 94 unaccompanied asylum-seeking children.

But Ofsted also found "a sharper focus on front-line services" and a more stable workforce following successful measures to keep hold of social workers.

The inspection found "progress" in the adoption service, work with care leavers, looked-after children and tracking youngsters who were missing education.

The council, which welcomed the report, said its plans to spin-off the children's services department as a voluntary trust were continuing.

Cabinet member responsible for children's services Brigid Jones said she saw "this as a positive report in the context of where we expected to be".

A Department for Education spokesman said: "Birmingham City Council has made improvements to the way it runs its children's services, but this progress has not yet gone far enough, fast enough

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 03:45 PM

Man jailed for 13 years for sexual abuse…

A Waterford man has been jailed for 13 years for sexually abusing his nephew in the 1980s and raping the victim's sister a decade later.

The victims were aged four to five when their uncle began abusing them.

The abuse came to light after the youngest victim went to gardaí in 2012. Shortly afterwards her brother also made a complaint.

The brother explained in a victim impact statement that he wanted to come forward sooner "but the words would just not come out."

He said the abuse stayed secret "until my little sister said the dreaded words."

"I will have to ask myself for the rest of my life why I kept the abuse secret," he said.

"My siblings will suffer for the rest of their life but at least we will no longer suffer in silence and that is because my sister was brave enough to speak out."

His younger sister, who was four when her uncle started molesting her, told the court she would think of ways to kill herself almost every day as a result.

"It impacts every single part of your life," she told the court.

"Trying to describe what it does to you is like trying to describe colour to a blind person. It's a massive secret you feel you have to keep to yourself."

She said that she fell into drug and alcohol abuse and nearly tore her family apart.

She is now in a stable loving relationship but that "a word or a song can bring me right back to that horrible place."

She said that no sentence will give her her childhood back.

"Being sexually abused should never be hidden," she added.

"The truth always comes out in the end." of a trial.

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 03:42 PM

2/2...Warning: Graphic detail below

The 47-year-old accused pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to rape, oral rape, sexual assault and indecent assault on the two victims between 1988 and 2003 in Waterford.

The man, who cannot be named to protect his victim's identity, has a mild intellectual disability and there were some initial doubts as to whether he was fit to stand trial on the charges.

A doctor's report stated he might not cope well with time alone in his cell.

Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy said the young woman's victim impact report made grim reading and that the abuse had a "grievous effect" on her but that she seemed to be an extremely brave young woman.

He said her brother's statement showed his regard for his sister and said he should not feel guilty.

He said the most striking feature of the case was the young age of the complainants when the "horrific abuse" began.

Mr Justice McCarthy imposed consecutive sentences totalling 13 years and ordered three years post release supervision.

During the sentence hearing the court heard that in one garda interview the accused man admitted molesting his niece but when pressed said this involved rubbing shoulders with her while they were dancing.

A local Garda said the man started abusing his nephew in the late 1980s when the boy was five or six years old. Most of the incidents occurred when the boy was sent up to the accused's bedroom to get him out of bed.

He began molesting and raping the girl a decade later when she was visiting the house.

On one occasion he anally raped her and put the corner of a pillow in her mouth to stop her from screaming.

Defence counsel Colman Cody SC said the man has lived a very sheltered, isolated life and has never had a job.

He asked the judge to consider the man's guilty plea which saved the victim's the stress.

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 12:19 PM

1/2...Warblington with Emsworth vicar resigns over sex acts with schoolgirl…

A vicar has resigned after an investigation found he engaged in sexual acts with a schoolgirl.

Rev Simon Sayers, of the Warblington with Emsworth parish, Hampshire, was arrested over an allegation of indecent assault, in London in the 1990s.

Police did not charge him, but an internal church investigation found his behaviour with the 16-year-old abused his position of trust.

He has been banned from ministry for five years by the Church of England.

The Metropolitan Police arrested the vicar in January 2015 after it was informed of alleged offences that took place in the Islington area when he was in parish ministry there in 1995.

Because of the 2015 police investigation he was suspended from the Church of England, but in April 2015 he was told by police he would face no further action.

However, a complaint was made to the Church that same month, prompting it to carry out its own investigation.

At its conclusion, the Bishop of London, the Right Reverend Richard Chartres, found the vicar "engaged in conduct unbecoming a clergy person and inappropriate for a married man" and prohibited him from ministry for five years.

'Deeply sorry'…

Mr Sayers resigned from his post in London in 1995 after what he described was a "brief 'above the waist' incident of a sexual nature, with someone over the age of consent, and a brief kiss two days later".

He later became rector at the churches of Warblington with Emsworth where he served for 12 years.

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 12:04 PM

2/2...In a statement, Mr Sayers said: "I have always believed that my behaviour in 1995 was wrong and fell below the high standards required of a Christian leader, and

I am deeply sorry for the sadness the incident and its investigation has caused."

A spokesman from the Church of England Diocese of Portsmouth said Mr Sayers had admitted "his part in initiating that sexual contact".

It added: "The bishop's penalty reflects both the seriousness of the Rev Simon Sayers' behaviour on those occasions and of breaching the trust of a young person who had been in his pastoral care for some years. 

"During the legal process, the Bishop of Portsmouth has visited the parish several times to offer his support to parishioners.

"The bishop and his staff have given practical help to the parish, its clergy and officers through this difficult period and will continue to do so."

Congregation walk-out...

Parishioners and residents of Emsworth have shown support for Mr Sayers.

When the resignation announcement was made in church on Sunday, several members of the congregation and choir walked out.

Parishioner Norman Peers said: "Yes, the church has standards but the church also preaches a message of grace, forgiveness and pastoral care.

"These things seem to be sorely lacking in the heavy-handed response by church authorities.

The hierarchy has turned its back on a much-loved man after years of sacrificial service."

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 11:58 AM

St Patrick’s Cathedral criticised for response to child abuse…

There have been calls for the Church of Ireland to set up an “outreach” service for all pupils of St Patrick’s Choir School who would have had contact with convicted child abuser Patrick O’Brien.

Patrick O’Brien was a member of the congregation at St Patrick’s Cathedral and treasurer of the independent fundraising body the Friends of St Patrick’s Cathedral over a 30-year period.

Last month, the 76-year-old pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to 48 sample counts of child abuse at various locations across the State, including St Patrick’s Cathedral.

On Friday, St Patrick’s Cathedral said it deeply regretted that children were sexually abused by O’Brien.

However, one of O’Brien’s victims, Kerry Lawless, said he is unhappy with the language used in the cathedral’s statement, which appeared to distance O’Brien from cathedral management.

Mr Lawless said that in 2004 he spoke to the former dean of the cathedral, Robert MacCarthy, because of the continued presence of O’Brien at the cathedral 15 years after he was given a suspended sentence for abusing Mr Lawless.

O’Brien was subsequently removed from his role as an unpaid volunteer guide at the cathedral.

Mr Lawless said he wanted an end “to the fudge” that O’Brien had been a volunteer.

He said he also wanted the cathedral to contact each of the cathedral school choristers who may have been in contact with O’Brien over the 30 years that he was associated with the cathedral.

Mr Lawless said he hoped any further victims would be offered support.

The Church of Ireland rector of Celbridge parish, Canon Stephen Neill, has also called for the Church of Ireland to “reach out to all [O’Brien’s] victims.

The canon criticised the cathedral’s statement as being mired in “legalese and damage limitation”.

He said that what was needed was “a proper apology”.

ANON Nov 21st, 2016 @ 11:56 AM

Belfast man admits raping 12-year-old girl and making her pregnant…

Conaire Adams-Whyte confessed at a sitting of Belfast Crown Court.

The 20-year-old from the Springfield Road area of west Belfast was freed on bail and is now living at a secret address after being threatened by dissident republicans.

He is also banned from having any contact with a second son who he fathered at the same time.

Adams-Whyte pleaded guilty at a court sitting last Wednesday.

His admission means new details can be reported about the way he took advantage of his schoolgirl victim.

The sex offender, who also uses the nickname 'Mitch', has a female relative who was good friends with the 12-year-old's mother.

The woman was supposed to be baby-sitting the child, but was not at home when she was dropped off at her house in July 2015.

However, Whyte was inside the property and he raped the schoolgirl, who told her mother what happened afterwards.

The sex attacker was arrested and denied even touching his victim.

As part of their investigation detectives took DNA samples from him - something that would later prove crucial in determining his guilt.

Two months after her rape, the 12-year-old found out she was pregnant.

Adams-Whyte was arrested a second time, and once again denied any wrongdoing.

But when the baby was born earlier this year it was DNA tested and he was found to be the father.

He was immediately charged with rape and last Wednesday, a full 16 months after sexually assaulting the vulnerable schoolgirl, he finally admitted his guilt.

Not only will Adams-Whyte be prevented from having anything to do with the child he fathered, he is banned from seeing a second son he had with his ex-girlfriend just months earlier.

Adams-Whyte has also been told he is no longer welcome in west Belfast, and is understood to be under threat from dissident republicans.

One source told the Sunday Life: "Conaire will be risking his life if he comes back here, the community is outraged at his behaviour. Not only was his victim just 12 years old, she is also extremely vulnerable.

"That b*****d took advantage of that, raped her, got her pregnant, then denied being the father until DNA evidence proved otherwise."

ANON Nov 20th, 2016 @ 05:20 PM

Please copy and Paste....

ANON Nov 17th, 2016 @ 06:27 PM

Man assaulted daughters in care home…

A man carried out indecent assaults on two of his daughters when they were moved to a care home, Tullamore Circuit Court has heard.

Patrick O'Donoghue, Ballygaddy, Kilcolman, Birr, now aged 74, began abusing the girls when they were aged four and two.

The abuse began in 1970 and continued for ten years.

A sentencing hearing was told the girls' mother had been taken into psychiatric care following the birth of her fourth child.

The abuse began in the family home and continued at a care home where the victims were sent.

Judge Keenan Johnson said he will sentence O'Donoghue on 25 November.

However as it will be a custodial sentence, he placed O'Donoghue into immediate custody.

ANON Nov 17th, 2016 @ 03:28 PM

Vaccine trial victim to lodge complaints over altered file…

One of the victims of the Bessborough vaccine trial is to make a formal Garda complaint after it emerged files were altered in 2002.

On Tuesday, the Irish Examiner revealed the files of mothers and children used in the 1960/61 4-in-1 vaccine trial were altered in 2002 just weeks after the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse sought discovery of records from the religious order running the home.

Mari Steed was born in Bessborough in 1960 and subsequently adopted in the US.

Her natural mother’s file is one of those listed as having been changed. She plans to make a formal complaint to the gardaí and Data Protection Commissioner.

“Now that it’s been confirmed the information in my file has been altered, I feel I have an obligation to make both a Garda and data protection complaint.

How many other files, not even relevant to the vaccine trials, may have been altered?

People have a right to know this. I am awaiting legal advice on jurisdiction for the Garda filing and then will make both complaints as soon as possible,” she said.

Ms Steed also said Tusla, which now holds the records, had “an ethical, moral, and public interest” in contacting all of the people it can confirm were part of a trial.

The Irish Examiner put a series of questions to the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in relation to the document. It declined to answer any of them.

A statement from Ruairí Ó Catháin solicitors, representing the order, stated it had “no immediate knowledge of any specific event” concerning alterations made to records.

In a separate statement, the order said it wished to “categorically state that no documents were altered” and that it would deal with the Mother and Baby Homes Commission of Investigation on all such matters

ANON Nov 17th, 2016 @ 03:14 PM

Granddaughter relieved at death of abuser, ex-lord mayor of Cork …

The granddaughter of a former lord mayor of Cork city has said she is relieved that her abuser is dead, but remains angry that Cork City Council expressed condolences following the death of the 86-year-old.

Waiving her right to anonymity, Elaine Murray said Cork City’s councillors’ condolences were a “slap in the face”. She said: “I am so upset that he was even mentioned .”

John Murray of Gregg Road, Cork, was jailed for a year in 2013 after he was found guilty of five counts of sexually assaulting his granddaughter while she was in her teens at dates between March 1996 and October 1998.

Saying the abuse had “consumed” and “tainted” her adult life, she told Cork’s Red FM: “There has been such a divide in our family that for other members of the family this is a relief. It is a relief that he is gone.”

She went on: “I knew I couldn’t airbrush history. I never attempted to airbrush history.

His name is still on plaques in the city and I appreciate that. The trial was extremely hard. It was all over the media. It was national news.

‘Very lenient’